There has been a large increase in the number of Tradesman trailers and tools being stolen, whether it is from the back of a vehicle or whilst onsite. It is estimated that around 60,000 trailers in Australia are stolen every year.
Tools and equipment left in trade vehicles are common targets for thieves because of their value and ability to be sold for quick cash. Having your tools stolen can set you back thousands of dollars and even bring your business to a standstill.
To reduce your chances of becoming a victim of theft, there are many precautions you can take to minimise the risk of having your possessions stolen.
- One of the simplest and most straight forward ways to prevent your trailer from being stolen is, whenever possible, to ensure that’s it’s in a secure and located location when not in use, like a garage, shed or at least out of sight behind a fence or gate.
- Trailers should be securely attached to your vehicle or a solid fixture when on site or at home and not in use. The Kovix U Shape Trailer Lock is the perfect lock to secure the trailer to your tow vehicle. It even has a 120db built in motion sensor alarm to scare off any would be thief.
- Remove your keys, do not hide them in the vehicle and keep them in a safe location. Lock your vehicle doors and make sure all windows are closed.
- Install an alarm or immobiliser and activate it every time you leave your vehicle or better still install a GPS tracking device on your trailer. You can then see where your tools are transported or hidden and immediately alert Police.
- Secure all toolboxes and equipment to your vehicle with chains, cables and padlocks. Invest in the Kovix Alarmed Padlock along with the Braided Steel Security Cable to keep any loose items secure. If tools and equipment cannot be secured, remove them.
- Keep an inventory and photos of your tools and equipment and record the make, model and serial number of your tools.
- Mark or engrave your tools and equipment with your name or driver’s licence number. This makes it harder for thieves to offload them.
Most importantly is making sure your trailer and tools are insured as this will to help you get back to work and back on your feet quickly.