The impact of having your boat stolen, isn’t only about the value of the boat and the impact on insurance premiums, it’s also about the loss of lifestyle. If you’re a boat owner, there is no worse way to start your day than finding your driveway or backyard missing your beloved boat.
Industry analysis (www.nationalmarineregister.com.au) reveals that there is more than $11 million worth of vessels stolen in Australia each year and the most targeted are recreational boats that belong to ordinary people.
If you are a boat owner, it’s important that you take the security of your boat as seriously as you would the security of your home. Most boats are stolen while on the trailer, so it’s important that we don’t make it easy for a thief to hook it up and take off.
There are several things that can be done to reduce the risk of your boat being stolen from home –
- Keep your boat in a safe, well-lit place or even better, put it in the back or side yard out of sight.
- If storing in an open driveway or car port, park another vehicle or other large object in front of the trailer. Even consider removing one trailer wheel.
- Secure the trailer to an anchored object with a good quality chain and lock.
- Invest in an anti-theft Trailer Lock – Marine dealers carry a variety of locks to help keep your boat and trailer secure. Anyone of these will help improve security or at least deter even an attempted theft.
One of the best Boat Trailer Locks available is the Kovix Alarmed Trailer U Lock. This innovative lock provides the ultimate security for your boat or jet ski. Made from high strength 304 stainless steel, this lock is designed for the toughest environments. A durable double locking system with integrated 120db alarm delivers a reliable and safe option for locking your trailer and avoiding unwanted theft.
On most ball couplings, the Kovix Alarmed U Lock can also be locked on while the trailer is attached to your vehicle also.
Unique Features include:
• Built-in 120db alarm system
• CR2, long-life lithium battery
• Ultra-strong 304 stainless steel body
• On and Off alarm functions
• Weatherproof electronics
• Rust prevention
• Removable ball to fit multiple coupling styles
If you do have some bad luck and are targeted by thieves, you should always report it to the Police and your Insurer without delay.
Another helpful tool available to us now is the Stolen Boat Registry. The Stolen Boat Registry allows us to register your stolen boat on the website for others to see. This increases the chances that perhaps someone may be able to assist with information that could potentially assist Police with a successful recovery of your stolen boat.
Remember: ‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure’.